Whickham Thorns Outdoor Activity Centre is currently in the process of a Community Asset Transfer from Gateshead Council to Gateshead Scouts – We are looking to set up a Scout Active Support Unit to help bring the centre back up and running, and continue to build a fantastic center for adventure in Gateshead.
The Scout Active Support Unit will be made up of people with a wide range of skills and experience who all love working with other volunteers in a team and having fun. We have a role for everyone.
What role can I do?
Whickham Thorns Outdoor Activity Centre requires a lot of work in a huge range of areas. Here are just a few of the possible roles.
- Admin & Finance– paperwork, bookings, procedures and money matters.
- Maintenance & Repairs– from repairing activity equipment to maintaining gas, electrical systems
- Activity Instructors– climbing, snow tubing, bushcraft, scout badges, possibilities are endless
- Management & Leadership– with a management group and team leaders to pull it all together.
- Grounds Maintenance– taking care of our green and pleasant land
- Website & Marketing – Web design, social media and marketing gurus
- Development & Planning– the future and our dreams
And many many more..
What is a Scout Active Support Unit?
Scout Active Support allows people to give their time to Scouting on a flexible basis. People can still be involved in Scouting without the full-time commitment of being a leader. Find out more on the Scout Active Support website.
Joining is free and the process depends on your existing scout membership status:
Existing adult member of Scouting (including Network members)
Simply complete the online form and we'll add you to our team on the Compass membership system. If you need a DBS check (for example if your existing role does not require one), we'll be in touch.
New to Scouting
Welcome to the adventure! Please complete an Adult Information Form and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org - we'll add you to our membership system and you'll start enjoying all the benefits of Scouting; from insurance, to our magazine and even discounts in shops. We'll be in touch to arrange a time to process your DBS. Once you've joined, look out for our next update.
If you've got any questions, please get in touch